John continues from Revelation chapter 21 regarding the new heaven and the new earth - together - including his description of the city of the new Jerusalem (Revelation 21:1 - 22:5).
Revelation 22:1-5 shows some similarities and differences between the original mankind in his environment (refer to Genesis chapters 1-3) and the new mankind in his new environment which will be the Paradise of God that will exist again on earth.
As we read these verses, we should understand that between Revelation 20:15 and Revelation 21:1 - all the people who will be judged righteous (just) to receive eternal life will have their natural, physical, fleshy, soulish bodies changed into new spiritual bodies like the Lord Jesus Christ has already received, and like the holy-people (Christians) will receive at the time of their gathering together away from the earth by the Lord Jesus Christ immediately before the implementation of God's wrath.
We should also note that all the people in the new heaven and the new earth will continue to be required to interact with God and with the Lord Jesus Christ. We will need to partake of the water of the life; we will need to partake of the tree of the life - its fruits and its leaves - so that each one of us will continue to live at the best capacity to be attained in whatever role and/or whatever tasks that will be assigned to us during that future time.
22:1And he pointed-out to me (the) river of water of life shining as crystal journeying-out from the throne of God and of the little-lamb. .2In (the) midst of her wide-street and of the river from-here and from-here (is the) tree of life making twelve fruits, according to each month giving-away the fruit of it, and the leaves of the tree (are) with-a-view-to attendance of the nations; .3and every curse yet will not be.
And the throne of God and of the little-lamb will be in her; and His slaves will render-service to Him, .4and they will see His face, and His name (will be) on their foreheads; .5and night yet will not be, and they do not have a need of a light of a lamp and a light of a sun because the Lord God will lighten on them, and they will reign-as-kings into the ages of the ages.
And the angel pointed-out to me (he indicated, as pointing with his finger to me; refer to Revelation 21:9 and 10)...
- the river of water of life (the living water - referring to a literal river containing water that maintains life, which is the physical demonstration of the spiritual reality that holy spirit-life will be the eternal life that God will give to all the righteous people prior to the new heaven and new earth by means of the Lord Jesus Christ - and people will be able to drink this water and thereby receive the flowing or communication giving the way of behaving in accordance with holy spirit-life, holy spirit in manifestation; refer to Revelation 21:6)
- shining (bright, brilliant, radiant, beaming-light)
- as crystal (transparent, clear ice or rock crystal)
- journeying out (making its journey, proceeding, passing out) from
- the throne (the high seat designated for a king and so it would include all the regal authority associated with that position - emphasizing royalty, and referring here to the throne)
- of God
- and of the small lamb (representing the Lord Jesus Christ; refer to Revelation 3:21).
In the midst (middle, center)...
- of her wide-street (the broad way or extending area within the city of the new Jerusalem; refer to Revelation 21:21)
- and of the river (referred to in verse 1 above)
- from-here (the wide-street) and from-here (the river) - between them
...is the tree of life (the living wood - referring to a literal tree that demonstrates God's life being available to those who partake of it; refer to Revelation 2:7 and 21:4)...
- making twelve fruits (plural "fruits"; bringing-forth, producing 12 fruits, produce),
- in accordance with each (individual, particular, single, distinct)
- giving-away the fruit of it (singular "fruit"; paying back what is due or obligated which is a particular fruit per month),
- and the leaves of the tree are
- with-a-view-to attendance (into, directed-to, for therapeutic treatment, therapy, care as necessary)
- of the nations (all the people without any distinction as to their backgrounds prior to the new heaven and new earth);
- and all/every curse (what was spoken against the earth, land, ground previously, which was harmful to it when the curse came to pass because of the judgment pronounced by God as recorded in Genesis 3:16-24)
- will not still be on the land as it was prior to the new heaven and new earth (every curse will no longer be applicable, none of them will be there anymore).
And the throne of God and of the small lamb (representing the Lord Jesus Christ; as verse 1 above) will be within the city of the new Jerusalem...
- and His slaves (God's bond-servants, those who are bound to serve God, the people being slaves in the working or service category)
- will render-service to Him (will perform, carry-out service as hired servants to/for God),
- and they will see His face (God will present Himself so that His visage, countenance, presence will be perceived with their eyes and known by them),
- and His name will be on their foreheads (God's name will be written on the area between/above the eyes - visible to everyone looking at the face - identifying and designating these people as belonging to God and living within His authority, ability, etc);
...and night will not still be (there will not be any nighttime, no time of darkness, no longer night, there will not be night anymore so as to stop God's slaves rendering service to/for Him)...
- and they do not have a need (God's slaves do not have a necessity due to some lack of what they need for use as they render service to Him)
- a light of a lamp (a lamp is usually supplied with oil to burn from a limited container of oil)
- and a light of a sun
- because the Lord God (refer to Revelation 1:8)
- will lighten on them (will pour light upon them, give light so that they can see),
- and they will reign-as-kings (exercise the kingship given to them, over their domain)
- into the ages of the ages (for the durations of lifetimes for/throughout the durations of lifetimes to come - not only one age or a group of ages, but emphatically for all the durations of life, the entirety, for eternity, forever).
[Reference: Genesis chapters 1-3; Matthew 5:8; John 1:18, 6:46; Acts 2:34-36; I Corinthians 2:9, 15:24 and 28; Colossians 1:15, 3:1; Hebrews 1:3 and 13, 12:14; I Peter 3:22; I John 4:12 and 20; Revelation 1:6 and 8, 2:7, 3:12 and 21, 5:10, 7:3 and 13-17, 14:1, 21:4, 6, 9, 10, 21, 23 and 25.]
A printed paperback book of the complete study of the Revelation of Jesus Christ may be purchased at:
True Bible Study - Revelation of Jesus Christ
Now available Bonus Access to Online Course.
Our Course includes:
- Syllabus with outline to The Book of Revelation (pdf format)
- Over 12 hours of Video Lessons covering Every Chapter and Verse in the Book of Revelation (wmv format)
(May) the grace of the Lord Jesus (be) with all-people.
Revelation Home Page